Brainwashing might be too strong a word.
It also might be the most accurate.
What else can you call decades of relentless feeding of false information, advice, and recommendations without sufficient legitimate proof to back it up?
It’s time to find out the facts – based on solid scientific research, not politics, power, and greed.
Here are a few eye-openers:
- LDLs (low-density lipoproteins) are NOT “bad cholesterol.”
- Eating fat, including saturated fat, does NOT cause excess body fat.
- The RDA’s Daily Values (DVs) are NOT based on needs for optimal health.
- Weight maintenance and weight loss are NOT a matter of “calories in – calories out.”
- It is nearly impossible to obtain optimal levels of nutrients WITHOUT supplementation.
A lot of the information that has been ingrained in us is untrue. Here are a few reasons:
- Results of poorly implemented studies are sometimes widely accepted and overblown.
- Misinformation is often perpetuated over various channels and generations.
- It’s easier for people to tie themselves to widely-believed myths than to accept information that defies political correctness or conventional ‘wisdom.’
Common sense, along with the tremendous growth of chronic degenerative disease during the past forty years, should confirm much of the information and many of the professional recommendations regarding health and disease have been less than accurate.
I credit TIME magazine for trying to correct the record thirty years after running its cover demonizing dietary cholesterol. Not all who have spread false information have done the same.
For instance, instead of keeping up with the research and adjusting their recommendations accordingly, many medical experts simply blame sick patients for not doing what they’re told.
Too often, problems arise because patients have done what they were told. (Like don’t eat fat.)
The longer we cling to myths not based on science, the harder it will be to form habits that will tip the odds in our favor.
Go ahead and remember the basics of human biology but be ready to shed some old beliefs and form better ones.
The effects will surely put a smile on your face:)